The Regrettes and The Who cancel Manchester tour dates

Manchester gigs - The Regrettes - image courtesy Claire Marie Vogel

The Regrettes and The Who have today cancelled their respective tour dates at Gorilla and Manchester Arena.

The announcement comes as more artists and venues are expected to cancel events over the upcoming weeks and months due to the Coronavirus.

In a statement on Instagram, The Regrettes front woman Lydia Night said, “hey everyone, after extremely careful consideration we are very sorry to report that our uk and european tour will be moving to later this year. this is so disappointing for us and everyone involved but we look forward to seeing you in september! we promise to have some new music out to play for ya then :)”.  She added that the dates had been rescheduled with the Manchester gig at Gorilla now taking place on 8 September 2020 with all tickets remaining valid.

The Regrettes were scheduled to headline at Gorilla on 17 March.  Lydia added that the dates had been rescheduled with the Manchester gig at Gorilla now taking place on 8 September 2020 with all tickets remaining valid.  They headlined at Manchester’s Deaf Institute in late 2019.

Meanwhile, The Who have also taken the step of postponing their tour which was due to open at Manchester Arena on 16 March.  The dates are expected to be rescheduled for later in the year.  A statement read, “After serious consideration, it is with much regret that THE WHO have postponed their U.K. tour, due to start next Monday March 16th in Manchester at the Manchester Arena and finishing at Wembley SSE Arena on April 8th. The dates will be rescheduled for later in the year. All tickets will be honoured.  The fans’ safety is paramount and given the developing Coronavirus concerns, the band felt that they had no option but to postpone the shows as a precaution.  Singer Roger Daltrey assures fans that the shows will ‘Definitely happen and it may be the last time we do a tour of this type, so keep those tickets, as the shows will be fantastic’.  Pete Townshend said the band, ‘Haven’t reached this decision easily, but given the concerns about public gatherings, we couldn’t go ahead.’  Sadly, THE WHO will also be unable to appear at the Royal Albert Hall on March 28th as part of the annual Teenage Cancer Trust shows but intend to reschedule that show also, with more news to follow.

image of The Regrettes courtesy Claire Marie Vogel

Mark Kelly

Author: Mark Kelly

Music lover. Gig reviewer.
Often found at the merch stand.